10/28/2014

House Crest Pins Review

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good!



This beauty arrived with the post a few days ago. I was so excited when I openend the package from The Noble Collection (click here to get to their website). The House Crest Pins Collectors Box costs $24.50. If your shopping from Germany I strongly recommend Elbenwald®­­ (see here). Unfortunately the box is much more expensive (34,95€).

The collectors box includes 5 pins. The pins are made of some kind of plastic, but they look like they are made of metal. The only way to find out that they are not actually made of metal is if you hold them in your hands, since they are really light-weight. The box itself is made of wood and is really beautiful, though there are a few dents in mine (I hope this doesn't happen when you order yours!), which I find really frustrating, because you know, I spend a good amount of money on it. Secondly what I find disappointing is that the glass sheet is not made out of real solid glass, but of Plexiglass, which scratches easily so you want to be extra careful with that.


















The 5 pins are, according to The Noble Collection's website, hand enameled. The pins are finely detailed and close with a butterfly clasp so they won't fall of if your wearing them.

The Hogwarts™ coat of arms is bronze. It shows a lion, a snake, a badger and an eagle surrounding the (in this case) red letter "H". Beneath it is the motto of the school. Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus which is Latin and means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon".




Usually the Hufflepuff™ crest is a black badger on yellow. In this case the badger is bronze as the decoration surrounding it. On top is a tiny badger underneath which we can see a knight's helmet.






The Slytherin­™ crest is exactely like I expected it to be. It shows a silver serpent on green. On top there's a tiny serpent beneath which you can find a knight's helmet.






Gryffindor's™ crest shows a bronze lion on yellow and scarlet. On the very top, however is not a small lion but the moon and a star together with a little wizards hat. I don't know why they made it that way, but it's probably because Gryffindor™ plays major part in the books and movies, since it's the house of the main characters. Maybe they wanted to make it stick out of the other 3 house crests by adding this little difference.



This is my favourite crest, but that's only because I'm in Ravenclaw™ house. The coat of arms of Ravenclaw™ is actually the most inaccurate of all 5 pins. The symbol of Ravenclaw™ is not, as the name suggests, a Raven but it's really an Eagle. (on the Hogwarts™ coat of arms pin this is portrayed correctly, so it is quite illogical that they made the Ravenclaw™ crest this way). Also the house colors are bronze and blue. In the movies, however they used blue and silver. I guess that is why they adopted those colors to all Ravenclaw™ products (so this crest is just disappointing for all of you who have read the books, including myself).

I hope this post helped you with your decision on whether you should get the House Crest Pins or not. I'm in love with them, despite some inaccuracies. I love wearing them sometimes, but I mostly keep them in the collectors box which I attached to my wall so I can always look at this beautiful treasure.

Mischief Managed!


PS: Check out my twitter!
Finely detailed and hand enameledh
Finely detailed and hand enameled

No comments:

Post a Comment